[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Recommended Reading

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Sat Jul 5 11:22:38 PDT 2014

Adam Giesinger's book is a treasure in many ways, but be warned that it says
next to nothing about
"the history of the migration and formation of the German colonies and rural
areas in Poland."
He speaks only in general terms about the immigration of Mennonites and the
Germans from various places who settled in western Poland in the 1790s and
early 1800s, and who subsequently left for south Russia after 1813.  But
information about how German colonies in Poland developed is not to be
found.

Here's the extent of the information about Poland, to be found on p. 44:

"The Polish insurrection against the Russian regime at that time [1830]
disturbed older Grman settlers in Poland and caused many to look for new
homes. A group of these established the textile industry at Volnianka near
Rozhischche. . . .  Others founded agricultural villages in the Rovno
region.  . . . .

"In the 1860s two events brought a flood of immigrants to this province: the
abolition of serfdom in 1861 caused Volhynian landowners to send agents to
Poland and to Germany to find efficient peasants to farm their lands: and
the second Polish insurrection in 1863 induced more Polish Germans to move
eastward. These were joined by others from Silesia, from East Prussia and
from the Austrian province of Galicia, all looking for land, now in short
supply in their old homes."

I stand to be corrected in case I've missed something regarding Poland.
Regarding "general history for the migrations," however, Giesinger's book is
indeed useful.

Dick Benert