[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Skaley from Alexandrowo

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 25 20:59:42 PDT 2002

At 06:24 PM 25/04/2002 -0700, uebing wrote:
>I have just joined this list after finding my great grandfather Ludwig SKALEY
>in the Hamburg emigration lists leaving Hamburg on the Gellert in August of
>1890.  His place of residence is listed as ALEXANDROWO and state of origin is
>Russland.  In records I've found here in the US, the family always put Poland
>or Poland/Russia or Russia Poland as their birthplace.  After years of
>searching, I finally have the name of a town to work with.
>
>Using the ShtetlSeeker, I find several ALEKSANDROWOs in Poland and even more
>ALEKSANDROWs.  Can anyone suggest which one a Lutheran carpenter might have
>come from or which ones were in Russia Poland at that time?  Also, the only
>LDS records I found from any of the towns are from the Aleksandrowo near Lodz.
>I'm going to order those films.  Any suggestions on where to look for other
>records?

There are 11 Alexandrow / Aleksandrow in Russian Poland with known German
residents.  However only one each of Aleksandrowka and Aleksandrowo.  Best
at least to start with the assumption that the spelling is accurate which
means Aleksandrowo 17 km SSE of Torun.

The bad news is that, assuming Lutheran origins, the location is in
Nieszawa parish for which there are no known available records.

I believe that the parish near Lodz is Alexandrow, not Alexandrowo.

Now keep in mind that my info comes from the most extensive list of
Germanic settlements that is currently available.  It is possible that they
lived in an Aleksandrowo in another parish and that this village is not yet
on the list.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca