Heimtal Parish History

The Parish of Heimtal (Staraja Buda) (1869)

The influx of Germans from Poland and Prussia into eastern Volhynia during the 1860s caused the second division of the Zhitomir Parish in 1869. Already in 1864, Heinrich Wasem, who had played a similar role as vicar in forming the Roshischtsche Parish, took up residence as vicar in Staraja Buda, with the intention of forming a new parish there. The parish lay in the counties of Zhitomir and Nowograd-Wolynsk and in 1869 had about 6000 parishioners in 20 communities. A stone church, called the "Jesus Church", was completed in 1878, soon followed by a stone manse. At first there was a rapid turnover of pastors until stability was attained with the arrival of Pastor Johannsen in 1886. The need to educate sexton/teachers (cantors) led in 1897 to efforts to establish a school for that purpose. The school became a reality in 1904 and received a building of its own in 1908. It served the Provinces of Volhynia, Podolia, Kiev and Chernigov.

By 1896 the number of parishioners had grown to about 20,000, located in nearly 100 colonies. This created a need for creating a new parish (or "permanent adjunct" of Heimtal) centered in Emiltschin in that year.

Pastors in Heimtal Parish

1863 – 1868 Heinrich Martin David WASEM
1870 – 1871 Karl Gottfried TREUFELD
1872 – 1873 Friedrich Ludwig WASEM
1875 – 1877 Hermann Arthur LANG
1880 – 1884 Emil Arthur Gottfried GANZ
1886 – 1914 Julius Hermann JOHANNSON
1918 – 1922 Friedrich RINK
1921 – 1933 Gustav UHLE

back to top

Evangelical Congregations in Heimtal Parish

Alexanderdorf (Granidub)+ Jakowka (Pisarowka) Nowo-Alexandrowka (Neu-Krausendorf)
Alexandria+ Janowka I*+ and II*~ Olgenburg (Oljchowka)~
Alexandrowka+(chapel only?) Jelissawetpole*~ Ossipowka-Konan (Josephstadt-Konan)
Alt-Krausendorf (Staraja Alexandrowka)+ Josephstadt-Konan (or Kunan)(Ossipowka-Konan)+ Ostronj (Ostroni)
Alt-Viktorowka+ Karolinowka+ Ostrowka*+
Amalien (Amalinowka)* Kirkewitsch* Pawlinowka
Andrejewka Kisselowka (Kiseljawka)* Pulin+
Annapole*+ Kremianka*+ Pulinskaja Huta*+
Antonowka (near Maidan)+ Kurgany (Kurhany, Grünfeld)* Raditsch*+
Baraschi (Baraschow, Barasze) Kutusowka (Kutazowka)*+ Rogowka*+
Beresowka (Rohrbach)*+ Liski*+ Rudokop*+
Beresowo-Hat*+ Ludwikowka* Sabarski-Schljach*
Bogoschewka Lugowaja (Wiesental) Schadura*+
Emiliewka Maidan (Majdan)+ Sinimoch
Helenow+ (near Zapust) Marianowka Sinjawka
Helenowka-Sokul+ Marianowka(*+?) (near Wolodarsk) Skolobow*
Evental (Jewgeniewka)* Maximowka (Maksimowka)+ Solodyri*+
Fedorowka*+ Michalindorf (Michailowka) Sorotschin*
Friedental-Dombrowo (Friedenstal, Mirnaja Dombrowo, Szczyrczyn)*+ Mikulinez* Staraja Alexandrowka (Alt-Krausendorf)
Gnadental (Bobritzkaja Buda, Bobeszkaja Buda)*+ Mirnaja Dombrowo (Friedental-Dombrowo)* Stebnize*
Gonorin (Honorin)+ Mlynok (Mlynek)*+ Ussitschno*
Granidub (Alexanderdorf) Nedbajewka*+ Viktorinka
Grünfeld (Kurgany, Kurhany)*+ Neu-Grüntal (Nowo-Selenj) Werendorf (Alexandrowka)*+
Grüntal (Jaswinka, Zaswiska)*+ Neu-Krausendorf (Nowo-Alexandrowka) Wiesental (Lugowaja)+
Gruschek* Neu-Viktorowka+ Wischnjakowka*+
Heimtal (Staraja Buda)*+ Neudorf-Tomar (Bratschki-Romara)*~ Wjasowez*
Honorin (Gonorin)+ Neumanowka*+ Wozlawpole-Widerno (Waclawpol and Wederna)*
Hotisch Nowin (Nowiny)*+ Wulka+
Wyrub (Wyruby)*+

+ village with a school which was usually also used as a chapel (Betsaal)
~ village with a separate chapel (Kapelle or more commonly, Betshaus)
* villages where land was owned by the farmer (in contrast to those where it was leased from a nobleman) (The 1909 source distinguishes between Kolonien and Pachtdörfer in this parish. Since the latter denotes rented land, the former (marked "*") may denote ownership.)

PINGOUD, G.: "Die evangelisch-lutherischen Gemeinden in Rußland", herausgegeben von der Unterstützungs-Kasse für Evangelisch-Lutherische Gemeinden in Rußland; Band 1: "Der St. Petersburgische und der Moskowische Konsistorialbezirk", St. Petersburg, 1909

back to top