[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] translation?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 18:39:14 PDT 2016

Teresa et al,

www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl has a database created essentially by
volunteers. They are linking records in the http://metryki.genbaza.pl/
database of raw records to particular years for birth/marriage/death
records they have indexed. You must register for the latter in order to
use it; it is all in Polish. "Geneteka" has an English interface.

You can "surf" through the various provinces on the map (today's
"states" in Poland), then look for surnames. The "soundex" interface is
fairly good, though, if you know of other spellings for a surname, you
might search on them. You can search within smaller regions and for
b/m/d records separately.

For example, if you select Mazowieckie, then put Berwaldt in the first
box in the name index (Nazwiska), selecting marriage records, the three
choices include Teresa's ancestral couple:
  1871     22     Krystian Samuel    Berwaldt    Polnau    Justyna
Leischner    Kuhn   Pułtusk (ewangelickie)
There   is a "hot link" for the skan.

When you click on that link, you get a page that shows all the digitized
pages for that year. Note the SkM at the end: those are the pages of the
index. If you select years before 1867/68, these will be in Polish, as
will the records. Indexes and records after that period will be in
Cyrillic because the Russian government in charge of this area of Poland
mandated it. Because the wedding for Samuel and Justyna was #22, that
marriage record is easily found.

This database has grown considerably in the last couple years as records
have been indexed and added to it. Some years do NOT have indexes. It is
also possible that instead of including indexes after each series of
b/m/d records, they were created in the parish record book at the end of
the year, so it might help to check that.

FamilySearch as well as our own SGGEE website have translation aids. See
https://sggee.org/research/translation_aids.html
and https://sggee.org/research/rus_translate/general_intro.html

Helen Gillespie posted to the List recently about a tool that helps you
see what your family surname looks like in Russian:

   http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/russian_conversion.htm

All of these aids will give you basic information to recognize your ancestral names and navigate the words for dates, etc. in Polish or Russian. It takes some study and effort, but many will agree it is worthwhile.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry