[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Arno Meyer: Grave location in Germany

Helen Gillespie gilleh23 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:01:46 PDT 2016

Sig,
You will unlikely find the tombstone of this ancestor unless he was famous
or the village is so small that there were not many burials (unlikely!).  I
found my great-grandfather's tombstone in the churchyard in Bernstorf
(Mecklenburg) which was East Germany then.  He died ca.1954. It was still
there in 2001. It may be gone now. The area was on the border and not many
people were permitted to live and/or go there from the 60's til the Wall
came down.

Like Canada and the US, civil registration of BMD are provincial / state
responsibility.  You might have better luck with obtaining a death
certificate - assuming you can determine the town/province he died in and
it might give the location of the interment.

Civil Registration in Germany began at different times in different areas
plus Civil registration records were kept at the local civil registration
office (Standesamt) so you would need to know exactly where he died in
order to send in a query.

This might help...but definitely knowing where your Mr. Meyer lived at the
time of his death is key.

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Civil_Registration

Good luck with this.

Helen