[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] putsfrau

Beth Burke mackzie at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 11:45:42 PDT 2016

The term was quite commonly used as a term for a stay-at-home wife/mother when we lived in the German state of Hessen.  It could also refer to a cleaning lady.

My personal opinion (although it doesn't matter much) is that a stay-at-home wife/mother has the hardest career a woman can have.  As for being referenced as a cleaning lady, whenever I have to tell our son to clean his room (he's 19 and I should no longer have to remind him), I give him one reminder, and if it doesn’t get done, I put on my maid/cleaning lady game face and I do the cleaning.  It costs him $10 for the any part of and up to 10 minutes.  After that, it's $5 every 10 minutes.  And mark my word, this cleaning lady moves very S-L-O-W-L-Y!  And she tells her son to hand over the money, too - No fooling around here!

Beth Burke
Verona, WI