[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village help

perry1121 at aol.com perry1121 at aol.com
Wed May 1 08:52:46 PDT 2013

Eveline,

Villages are often spelled phonetically in records so you have to experiment some to find how it is spelled on a map. This village name could begin with the following combinations of letters: Pya-, Pja-, Piya- , Pija- , etc. Your ancestors lived near Wladimir Wolhynsk, didn't they? Looking for some of these combinations shows that a Pyatydni is just west of that city. "Las" or "Les" usually refers to a forested area near another village. Often a settlement near an existing village will have an ending on the name of the village; these don't show on all maps. I'm NOT saying this is your village. But this is the kind of research you need to do to find a village if the spelling is not the "official" spelling.

Sigrid Pohl Perry