[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Küster

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 24 09:13:42 PST 2013

Michael Altwasser was my grandfather and the following information I
compiled about him helps to validate what Jerry has written about the
meaning of "Kuster".

Documents found in the Rowno Archives by B. Voltermann, W. Köllner, F.
Winkel and G. König, "KB Tutschin, Geburten_Taufen", (Births_Baptisms
retroactively issued) were translated into German and show "Küster
Altwasser" and "Küster M. Altwasser", in Antonowka, baptizing Emil Kiel
on November 12, 1898; Mathilde Bathke on December 27, 1899; Olga Bathke
on September 22, 1901 and Emilie Schendel on March 15, 1905.

The "KB Tutschin, Geburten_Taufen" documents help to confirm that
Michael lived in this village of Antonowka between November 1898 and his
departure in the summer of 1907.

Visit: *wolhynien.de*
<http://wiki.wolhynien.net/index.php?title=ALTWASSER,_Michael>   a
VolynWiki site for /KB Tutschin/ information re: Michael Altwasser

Typically, the school teacher also served as the community's salaried
lay preacher for the colonies of German settlers. They settled in
colonies to enable them to have a house of worship and a school for
their children. There were no grants from the Russian government toward
the building of a school nor provisions made for the maintaining the
buildings or paying the teachers' salaries. This was left to the
settlers. Very few children went on to high school or university.

Michael was the lay preacher and teacher in Antonowka who was appointed
to lead Sunday church services and perform church duties in the absence
of the ordained pastor, E. Althausen. He did not have the authority to
marry couples, but could perform baptisms and funerals, teach the
catechism and prepare the children for confirmation.

Yours truly,

Jack Milner

Reference

http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/3michael.htm