[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Baby illness term

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 13:26:15 PDT 2009

Rose-Marie,

After reading the German article in Günther's link and skimming medical
links intelligible to the average person, I've come to the following
conclusions about this cause of death among newborns: a newborn baby's
deficiency of calcium and vitamin D caused a combination of symptoms
which included continuous crying, trembling, and convulsions which
ultimately led to death. The deficiency can be caused by a lack of
calcium and vitamin D in the mother's diet or by underlying maternal
illnesses such as diabetes which contribute to the deficiency. The
modern treatment consists of intravenous calcium & D supplements
(obviously unavailable to our ancestors). A regular diet of dairy
products for calcium and time spent in the sunshine for vitamin D can
prevent this if the mother is otherwise in good health. However, her
body needs to absorb enough calcium to have it ready to pass on to her
developing baby, and that supply cannot be available if the mother is
pregnant annually. At least a two-year interval between pregnancies is
crucial for her optimal health. Quite amazingly, many of the families of
our ancestors saw the annual birth of a child. I've been indexing
records from the Lublin area and can state quite truly that the infant
mortality rate is significant and that many mothers bore a child nearly
every year, certainly every two years, almost without fail. I even
noticed one family who lost four newborn infants in less than six years.

Sigrid Pohl Perry