[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Geography Lesson please

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Thu Jun 7 12:41:59 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <rlyster at telusplanet.net>
To: <ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:21 AM
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Geography Lesson please

> I am trying to understand the movement of my ancestors:
>
> Clearly they came from Germany (or whatever it was called then) to Lodz
and
> then to villages of Milashev and Mydzk.  I know where these are.
>
> However the Hollander side from Neudorf-Neubruch on the banks of the Bug
River
> (where is this) went to Josefin which is also near Luck as above...I know
> where that is but where can I find Neudorf-Neubruch on a map?
>
> Thanks,
> Rita Lyster

The Western Bug River is in the Ukraine, Poland and Belarus.  The Southern
Bug River is in the Ukraine.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_(Rivers)

"The Bug or Buh River, called Western Bug to distinguish it from Southern
Bug, flows from central Ukraine to the west, forming part of the boundary
between Ukraine and Poland, passes along the Polish-Belarusian border,
within Poland, and empties into the Narew river near Serock (actually to the
artificial Zegrze Lake). The part between the lake and the Vistula River is
sometimes referred to as Bugo-Narew. The Vistula River drains into the
Baltic Sea."

Check this site.
http://www.sggee.org/pipermail/ger-poland-volhynia/2003-July/002090.html

"The so called "Bug-Hollander" settlements Neudorf-Neubruch 20km south
of Brest were founded in 1617, on the banks of the Bug River. The
settlers were of Lutheran faith (no Mennonites) with names like
Hildebrand, Hueneburg, Baum, Krebs, Holz, Buetow, Sillentin/Selent,
Lodwig, Popke, Ryll, to name a few. By the time their ancestors
emigrated to Prussia and Poland (abt. 1520-1550), the Netherlands were
part of the German Reich."

Joe in Texas