[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Umlaut Vowels

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Apr 23 08:02:44 PDT 2006

A brief note:

The German alphabet includes three umlaut vowels, A, O, and U.
(vowels with two dots above them)  The dots are not diacritical
marks. Umlaut vowels are alphabetical characters.  Umlauts are to be
pronounced at the front of the mouth like the pronunciation of 'ich'
and not at the throaty back of the mouth like pronunciation of 'ach'.
Umlaut/half-loud.  Author Mark Twain joked that learning German is
getting the ichlauts and achlauts correct, say what you are going to
say, then add a verb to the end.

Mechanical typewriters came on to the world scene. 26 letters. . .
where are my umlaut vowels?
The ListServ is not umlaut capable. What do I do now?
I indicate an umlaut A by adding an E after it, resulting in "ae', I
do the same with umlaut O="oe" and umlaut U="ue"
(you will note the added 'e' forces the vowel sounding to the front
of the mouth)

Today, more and more font bases include diacritical marks AND German
umlaut vowels.

. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."