[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Immigrant from Volhynia to the US (1892)

Donald Larson larsonhome at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 14:43:54 PST 2003

List Manager:

I recently discovered a reference that may shed light on the emmigration of some of my ancestors
from Volhynia to the Benton Harbor/St. Joseph area of Berrien County, Michigan.

My family history sources indicate that Gottlieb Benke and his wife and daughters along with the
wife's in-laws emigrated in 1892 with a large group of other Germans from Volhynia.  No one in the
family has been able to identify embarkation or arrival ports, the specific dates of travel or the
ship used.

A few days ago, I found the following reference in the Ancestry.com Immigration records, but have
no idea how I should go about locating that reference and getting the specific page in question
copied and translated from German to English.

Immigrant Name: Henriette Wilhelmine Karoline Hafer
Year: 1892
Place: North America
Source Publication Code: 5860
Primary Immigrant: Hafer, Henriette Wilhelmine Karoline
Source Bibliography: MUELLER, FRIEDRICH. "Westfaelische Auswanderer im 19.
Jahrhundert-Auswanderung aus dem Regierungsbezirk Minden, Part 1: 1816-1900 (Erlaubte
Auswanderung)." In Beitraege zur westfaelischen Familienforschung, vols. 38/39 (1980-1981), pp.
3-711.
Page: 522

I believe that this person may be my Great-Great Grandmother.

As far as I can tell from the family Bible and other records, the following people may have
traveled together on that trip:

Ferdinand Hafer (b. 4/10/1840 in "Germany")
Henrietta Frederike Wilhelmine (Villwock) Hafer (b. 11/23/1841 in Seehof Municipality,
Rummelsburg, Hinter Pommern, Germany) [wife of Ferdinand]

Bertha Hafer (b. 5/28/1864 in "Germany")[adopted daughter of Ferdinand & Henrietta]

Gottlieb Benke (b. 5/14/1862 in Kalisch, emmigrated from Tutschin, Volhynia)
Charlotte Adeline (Hafer) Benke (b. 7/4/1870 in "Scharlottental, Germany") [wife of Gottlieb and
daughter of Ferdinand and Henrietta]

Amelia Auguste (Millie) Benke (b. 10/22/1883 in Volhynia) [daughter of Gottlieb & Charlotte]
Emma Willhelmina Benke (b. 1/1/1892 in Volhynia) [daughter of Gottlieb & Charlotte]

Information on these family members may be found at my web site:
http://www.myfamilyline.net/MyFamilyLine%20Web%20Folder/PS01/PS01_223.HTM

I appreciate any assistance or advise that may be provided to me regarding the emmigration of my
family.

Don Larson