[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Prussian Names

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Apr 18 08:15:06 PDT 2003

 To all,

>From the link on the SGGEE web site to a site called Behind the Name, at
http://www.behindthename.com/

        AUGUST (1)   m   German, Polish
        German and Polish form of AUGUSTUS

        AUGUST (2)   m   English
        Pronounced: AW-gust
        Means simply "August" from the name of the month, which was
        originally named for the Roman emperor Augustus.

        AUGUSTUS   m   Ancient Roman
        Pronounced: aw-GUS-tus
        Means "great" or "venerable", derived from Latin augere "to
        increase". Augustus was the title given to Octavian, the first
        Roman emperor. He was the adopted son of Julius Caesar who rose
        to power through a combination of military skill and political
        prowess. This was also the name of three kings of Poland.

        EUPHROSYNE   f   Greek Mythology
        Means "mirth, merriment" in Greek. She was one of the three
        Graces (Charites) in Greek mythology.

Gary Warner
SGGEE